The European Voluntary Service (EVS) supports international voluntary activities for young people and the development of solidarity and tolerance between them in Europe and other countries of the world. It creates an opportunity for youngsters to travel abroad and gain experiences through the EVS project.
EVS supports education through work, creates opportunities for non-formal learning and new possibilities to gain skills and develop competences of young people. The aim is to support the personal, educational and academic development of volunteers.
Parties involved in an EVS project and their duties:
- sending organization – in charge of searching for volunteers, gives them information about a project and EVS in general, provides insurance and everything necessary before the volunteer goes abroad.
- hosting organization – in charge of searching and choosing a volunteer, provides everything necessary for the volunteer´s stay in the project country, provides everything the volunteer might need to carry out his/her project in the project country, supports the learning process of the volunteer and is responsible for the Youthpass at the end.
- coordinating organization – in charge of writing and submitting a project, provides all administrative and financial necessities and communicated with the National Agency.
- volunteer – prepares for his/her stay in the project country and the realisation of the project
In most of the projects coordinating and hosting organizations are the same, in other cases it is the sending organization. It is the best if a volunteer finds transportation to/from the project country on his/her own or with the help of sending or hosting organization. It is up to all the parties involved.
Bratislava Volunteer Centre functions as a hosting, coordinating and sending organization. This means that we can be contacted by volunteers who want to travel abroad, but also by organizations from the Bratislava region which need EVS volunteers for their projects.
Requirements for attending the European Voluntary Service
You can attend this voluntary service, if:
- you are 18-30 years old
- you would like to volunteer in another country for 3-12 months
During EVS you can participate in various kinds of volunteering, e.g. working with children, the elderly, people with disabilities, preservation of the environment, culture or sport both in and outiside of Europe. Opportunities are great but searching and approving process of your EVS can last longer (at least 1 month, at the most 4-5 months, that´s why it is important to think about where you want to go and what you want to do in advance). The list of current EVS projects can be found here.
The European Voluntary Service is financed and supported by the European comission under the Erasmus + programme.
If you already have choosen a project or you would like us to help you finding one, you can contact us! We will be happy to advise you.
EVS Diary is a blog written by volunteers who get to the Bratislava Volunteer Centre through the European Voluntary Service. They write about their experiences, memories and thoughts here in Slovakia.
Our former EVS volunteers Carolin and Claire prepared an amazing project – Bratislava guide for begginer as well as advanced EVS volunteers.